There are some combinations that are nearly impossible to get tired of – tomatoes, garlic, and pasta are one of those for me. This recipe is great because it’s different from the usual canned sauce, frozen veggies mix, but still easy enough to whip up quickly on a weeknight.
- 24 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 4-5 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 4-6 cups/handfuls fresh spinach
- Protein of your choice (canned or shredded rotisserie chicken, smoked turkey sausage, diced ham are all easy choices)
- 1/2 pound penne or rotini pasta (I love Barilla Plus)
- 1/2 tbs (plus) red pepper flakes (I use Chipotle Red Pepper Flakes for extra kick)
- feta and/or parmesan cheese
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees.
- Spread tomatoes and garlic on a large baking sheet with a rim or glass baking dish, add some olive oil, sprinkle with the pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. Roast in oven for 20 minutes, stirring frequently until tomatoes begin to brown.
- Meanwhile, sauté meat and cook pasta. When draining pasta, reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
- When the veggies are done, combine the pasta, water, meat, veggies, and spinach in the pasta pot. Cook over medium heat until the spinach just barely wilts.
- Transfer to serving dish and add feta and parmesan, toss slightly. Serve with a slotted server to drain off excess tomato juice.