This is one of the first meals Kim ever cooked for me. It presents very well, my friend Lydia called it “fancy restaurant good”, which is quite an accomplishment for a 30 minute meal. Now, while I usually recommend playing with recipes and making your own adjustments, with this one I will say, do not leave a single ingredient out. They all work together in a sum that is greater than all its parts.
- pre-marinated chicken breasts, in either a sweet chili or barbeque flavor, or marinate chicken in your own sauce
- white or wild rice
- 1 can diced stewed tomatoes
- 4-6 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- salt and pepper
- mango chutney
- Chop all the veggies and cook as much rice as you usually eat. Make sure to add a little salt to the rice when you cook it.
- In a pot, sauté the onion until it begins to get tender. Add the celery and bell pepper and cook for a couple of minutes, then add in the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper. Simmer in med-low while you cook the chicken.
- Trim the excess fat off the chicken and pan grill each side for 5 minutes on med-high, make sure to check that the juices run clear and there’s no pink in the middle.
- Serve the chicken with the mango chutney drizzled on top, put the rice on the side and put a large scoop of veggies on top of the rice.