Chicken and dumplings is, perhaps, my favorite comfort food. Creamy chicken and vegetables, biscuit dough dumplings — what is not to love? This recipe is great because you can make it ahead and come home 30 minutes away from a home cooked dinner.
- 1.5 pounds chicken, raw or frozen (I used thighs)
- 1 yellow or white onion
- 4 stalks of celery, sliced
- 4 large carrots, sliced
- 1/2 bag frozen peas
- 1 can refrigerated low fat buttermilk biscuits (or make your own equivalent dough)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup, or make your own creamy base
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- Put the chicken (large pieces are fine), vegetables, and cream soup, and poultry seasoning in the crock pot.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5.
- Shred the chicken with a fork and return it to the pot.
- Cut the biscuits into fourths, and drop them into the soup, about a quarter of an inch between each.
- Put the lid back on and cook on high for another 45-60 minutes. The stew is done when a fork or toothpick come out clean when inserted in a dumpling.